Sunday 11 March 2012

Decisions, decisions

December 31, 2008... Jonathan and I are walking through Botanic Park, when he stops to 'tie his shoelaces'. I (correctly) surmise that this is a pretence to get on one knee and do the scariest thing he had done to date: ask me to marry him. The thought crosses my mind that I should keep walking and make him a) chase me, and/or b) find another opportunity where he may have to be more obvious about his intentions :P  Instead I sympathise with the guts it took to get this far in the first place and I stand... trying not to look to expectant and failing epically.


The rest is history as they say, but it led to an interesting conversation on the way to church today: how great is the impact of one decision on the experiences you will have for the rest of your life?


Lets say I had kept walking... Jonathan would have had to come up with a new scenario for proposing... he supposes that he might have waited until Valentines day one and a half months later (although if I know Jonathan he wouldn't have been able to wait that long). Nevertheless it certainly would have been later which would likely mean that our wedding date would have been later than May 16... if that was the case, we'd have missed the chance to apply to the first house we lived in and lived somewhere else. Our daughters would have arrived later (possibly Hayley wouldn't even be here yet!) and I would have been working longer at my last workplace. These are just a few of the examples of things that would have been different for us if I had made that seemingly simple decision. Boy am I glad I played fair that day!


I hope that the choices I make every day will be ones that bless those around me and lead me to greater happiness. I pray that I'll always have the courage to choose what is right, even when it's not easy.






What are some of the big impact decisions in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment