Monday 19 August 2013

Tasmania

There are so many things on my mind to blog about, but I haven't had the chance in the business of life and with our internet not working...

My trip to Tasmania was a long three days... kind of bitter-sweet, but also worth the trip I suppose.

I missed my husband and kids so much, but it served as a wonderful reminder of how much I love them and how much the stressful parts of life at home pale in to insignificance next to all the sweet moments that I can have, especially if I look for them.

It was wonderful to spend some time with my Aunty Vicki and my cousin Erin as well as Adam and his family, but of course it wasn't long enough. I hope though that there will be a time in the not too distant future when I can go with my Jonathan and the kids for a bit longer to see them.

It was wonderful to see my grandmother, but it was also an eye-opener to see how her dementia is effecting her. It made me realise that because of distance there may not be too many more times that I will be able to see her while she can figure out who I am. I have thought about it since then and it has occurred to me all the things about her life that I've never thought to ask her, but that I would love to know. It's funny that I didn't realise that I'd like to know those things and how they would help me understand her better.

I also saw my friend Emma of course. Again because of distance I don't often see her so this was wonderful. It was bitter-sweet though as we talked about the challenges she is facing at the moment (she has cancer) and again there was that sense of wanting to spend as much time with her as I can.

Overall I have been reminded that it is, undeniably, the people in your life that are really important. The things you can acquire, the places you can see, and experiences you can gain may enrich your life, but cannot bring you lasting happiness on their own.

Relationships are what matter. Nurture them and never let the distractions in your life take precedence over the people who matter most and are counting on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment